How AMARNA Vida May Use or Disclose PHI
Some reasons AMARNA Vida may use your PHI are listed below (though not every reason for a use or disclosure is identified.) Some uses and disclosures will require your consent, while other reasons may not.
AMARNA Vida may use or disclose your PHI, with your consent, as follows:
- Communications with Family and Others. We may disclose your PHI to your family members or friends only after obtaining your verbal or written agreement to do so, or after giving you an opportunity to object to such a disclosure and you do not do so.
- Research. For research purposes.
- Sale of PHI or for our Marketing Purposes. This does not include face-to-face communication about products or services that may be of benefit to you, or about prescriptions you have already been prescribed.
- Highly Confidential Information. In some instances, we may need additional, very specific, written authorization to disclose certain types of specially-protected information such as psychotherapy notes, HIV status, substance abuse treatment, mental health records, venereal disease information, research involving controlled substances, abortion consent forms, family planning services, and genetic testing information (“Highly Confidential Information”).
- Emancipated Minors. Certain information relating to your diagnosis or treatment may be Highly Confidential Information and will not be disclosed to a parent or guardian without your consent. Your consent is not required, however, if a physician reasonably believes your condition to be so serious that your life or limb is endangered. Under such circumstances, we may notify your parents or legal guardian of the condition, and will inform you of a notification. If you are a parent or legal guardian of an emancipated minor, certain portions of the emancipated minor’s medical record (or, in certain instances, the entire medical record) may not be accessible to you.
AMARNA Vida may use or disclose PHI without your consent under the following circumstances:
- Treatment. AMARNA Vida uses your PHI to provide treatment and other services to you to diagnose and treat your injury or illness. As part of that treatment, AMARNA Vida may need to disclose PHI to other health care providers involved in your care, such as specialists, pharmacies, and labs.
- Payment. AMARNA Vida may disclose your PHI to your insurance company in order to confirm your eligibility to receive care at AMARNA Vida, and for AMARNA Vida to collect payment for its services provided to you. Iora may also disclose your PHI to other health care providers so that they may seek payment for services they provided to you.
- Operations. We may need to use and disclose your PHI as necessary to support our day-to-day management or for internal administration and planning or quality improvement.
- AMARNA Vida must disclose PHI as required by law, for:
Public Health Reporting. AMARNA Vida is required to provide information to public health authorities to:
Report abuse or neglect of children, the elderly or the disabled, including instances of rape or sexual assault;
State agencies in order to prevent or control disease, injury or disability;
Notify a person of a potential exposure to a communicable disease;
Notify a person of a potential risk of spreading or contracting a disease or condition;
Report adverse reactions to drugs or problems with products or devices.
Workplace Injury or Illness. For work-related illness or injury or as required for workplace medical surveillance, we must report to the insurer and/or the state industrial accident board and/or parties involved in workers’ compensation matters.
Lawsuits and Similar Proceedings. In the event you are involved in a lawsuit or similar proceeding, Iora may need to use and share your PHI in response to a court order, or if a lawful request has been made by another party involved in the dispute with you, but only after we have made efforts to inform you of the request or obtain an order protecting your PHI from disclosure.
Law Enforcement. PHI may be disclosed to police or other law enforcement officials as required or permitted by law, or to comply with a subpoena accompanied by a court order.
Death. AMARNA Vida may need to release PHI to a medical examiner or coroner.
Organ/Tissue Donation. If you are an organ donor, AMARNA Vida may release PHI to organizations that facilitate organ or tissue donation, banking and transplantation.
Serious Threats to Health or Safety. AMARNA Vida may use PHI to assist with efforts to prevent serious threat to the health and safety of you or others.
Security. We may need to share PHI with officials for national or international security activities.
Rights Regarding your PHI
- Communications. You may request that AMARNA Vida communicate with you about your health and related issues in a particular manner (e.g., to contact you at home rather than work). You do not need to give a reason for your request.
- Restrictions. You have the right to request that we not share your PHI for treatment, payment, or healthcare operations, or that we share your PHI with only certain individuals. We will abide by your request, unless a disclosure is required by law or is necessary to treat you. To request a restriction, we will need to know: the information you wish to restrict; whether or how you want to restrict AMARNA Vida’s use, disclosure or both; and to whom.
- Inspection, Copies, and Amendments. You have the right to see your PHI and have it copied. Requests for copies must be made in writing. If available, you may obtain an electronic copy of your health record, and/or may direct us to transmit a copy to a person you designate. If AMARNA Vida created the information, you have a right to request that we amend the information if you believe it is inaccurate or incomplete. We cannot change medical information created by someone else, or if the change would make your medical record inaccurate or incomplete.
- Revoking your Authorization. With a written request to us, you may revoke or revise prior authorizations for future use/disclosure of your PHI.
- Obtain a Paper Copy of This Notice at Any Time. Email us at email@example.com.
- Accounting and Access Reports. You have a right to receive a list of how, and to whom, PHI was disclosed. This is called an “accounting of disclosures.” This would not include disclosures of your PHI made for your treatment, payment, or health care operations. If we use or maintain your PHI in an electronic designated record set, you have a right to receive a report indicating where we (or our Business Associates) have disclosed, and/or who has accessed, your PHI (including access for the purposes of treatment, payment, and health care operations) during a period of time up to three years prior to the date of your request. Requests for an accounting of disclosures and/or requests access reports must be made in writing to AMARNA Vida.
- Notice of a Breach. You have a right to receive notice of any unauthorized access of PHI.
- Revisions to Our Privacy Policies and Practices. AMARNA Vida may change its privacy policies, including this Notice, and make new policies and practices, including revised Notice provisions, effective for all PHI that we maintain. A copy of the current Notice will be posted in our office and on our website.
- Right to File a Complaint. If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint with our administrative staff. All complaints must be submitted in writing. You will not be penalized for filing a complaint.
- Amendment of this policy
Effective Date: This Notice is effective as of November 23rd 2018.